Last night my family and I celebrated my mothers 67th. birthday. In keeping with the theme of resilience and strength, we took her to see “Wonder Woman.”
Wonder Woman is a leader in the fight of justice. She searches for peace, uses her lasso of truth as a weapon and deflects evil through the use of those unbreakable bracelets! She defends and unites humanity and resists the intended destruction of evil. I truly believe that each caregiver is a “Wonder Woman.”
Many times we face adversity in our lives, whether its due to our own choices, a failed system, dysfunctional family units or to a random crisis in our lives. The reason for the adversity is important, but not as imperative as your reaction to it. There is a turning point that can be made, a conscious decision to change the course and outcome of the event.
However, as an individual, you must wrap yourself in the “lasso of truth” and be honest with who you are and where you would like to go. Your trauma and crisis does not define you and it is up to you to resist the negative impact In your life! But how does one tap into “Wonder Woman Powers?” Below are a of couple steps below to begin to explore your own personal potential.
- Who are you? List out all the characteristics of yourself, including strengths and weaknesses. Be honest and wear that lasso of truth. List them out into two separate columns. Both strengths and weaknesses are important as they can be leveraged to calibolt you into your dreams.
- What do you want? What would make you whole or complete? Write a list of all your desires in every area of your life, including, (a) career, (b) health and wellness, (c) love and romance, (d) travel and adventure, (e) wealth and prosperity, (f) family and community, and (g) hobbies and creativity.
- Where are your gaps? Now that you have your desires written, rate yourself in that area from 1-10. #1 being the lowest satisfaction rating and #10 being the highest satisfaction rating. What do you notice about your ratings in the different areas of your life? Is it a surprise or does it resonate with you? What are the reasons for the lower ratings?
- What area of your life are you ready to tackle? Looking at your ratings and assessing your own strengths and challenges, select an area of focus. This could be your health, career or finances. You must choose. Remember, nothing is impossible. Impossibility resides in your mind and you must evict it before you can even think about the steps to put in place and develop that action plan.
- Why do you have a box? We all live in a box, a box that society, family and even ourselves have built around us. Once in awhile, we will peer through a window, a small opening in that stuffy place and wonder what it must be like to breath, to truly live. It is us standing in the way of ourselves. One must get out of the way of stale thinking, remove the blinders of tunnel vision and open the heart to the potential that lies within you. We must destroy the box all together. Wonder Woman’s personal “amazon trainer” pushed her for more. She never allowed her to get comfortable or let her guard down. To be victorious, she had to give more-fight harder!
- What are your resources? Friends, family, and even a computer can be some amazing resources to educate and expand your mind. If your friends and family live within your box or put that box around you, then they are not a resource. My favorite resource is my computer. I’ve googled my way to learn about different areas of improving my life, from taking coaching courses to finding the most reasonable ways to vacation. Assess your resources and they must be different but supportive, accessible but uncomfortable!
I will follow up on with this blog piece on the personal steps my family and I have taken to change the course and direction of our lives and break down those boxes that surrounded us. Know that “Wonder Woman” lives within you and there are no limits to your super-powers except you! Love yourself enough to invest in you!
“If you do what you’ve always done, you will get what you have always gotten!”